As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
Evidence-based self help
Therapists often recommend that clients work on their own between therapy visits, using evidence-based practices. But everyone is different. For best results, I recommend discussing your self-help work in detail with a licensed mental health professional.
The brain and the mind are trainable. Happiness is a skill set. Self-help practices help you prepare for strong emotions. Like a storm, we can feel our emotions building. Self-care practices help you prepare for the storm so you survive and move toward thriving. Restorative practices help you heal your body and mind after the storm.
- Anxiety Canada
- Greater Good in Action
- New Harbinger Publications
- Atlas of the Heart, by Brene Brown
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center guided meditations in multiple languages
- Hidden Brain podcast
- Metta Hour with Sharon Salzberg podcast
- Translating ADHD podcast
I believe that every person has areas of enduring vulnerability. For a marriage to succeed, these vulnerabilities need to be understood and honored.John Gottman, gottman.com
When I practice, I usually start by slowing down internally and setting aside my to-do list. When I’m able to drop in like this, I’m always thankful that I have a yoga practice.Jason Crandell, JasonYoga.com
Mindfulness, Compassion, and Neuroscience
Most people are afraid of suffering. But suffering is a kind of mud to help the lotus flower of happiness grow. There can be no lotus flower without the mud …. The art of happiness is also the art of suffering as well. When we learn to acknowledge, embrace, and understand our suffering, we suffer much less.Thich Nhat Hanh
- No Mud, No Lotus book by Thich Nhat Hanh
- RAIN Meditation meditation practice (Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nurture) by Tara Brach
- The Blooming of the Lotus book of meditations by Thich Nhat Hanh
- The Way Out is In podcast with Plum Village
- Healthy Minds Program app – a combination of podcast-style lessons, seated meditations, and active meditations to learn what the science says about the brain while developing skills.
- The Dalai Lama’s Guide to Happiness program – free 10-day course with the Dalai Lama, Dan Harris, Richard Davidson, and Joan Halifax to learn and practice skills.